Head of Operations- Washington D.C.
JUMP Bikes is building the future of urban mobility: shared electric bikes that are the quickest, most enjoyable, and most empowering way to get around a city. Cheaper than most public transit and faster than cars in traffic, JUMP e-bikes are game-changers for local transportation. Founded in 2010, JUMP pioneered dockless bike share and has deployed more than 14,000 bikes in 6 countries. This year JUMP is launching the next generation of bike share in San Francisco, Washington DC, and other top tier US markets. Our goal is to transform cities, making them more sustainable, equitable, and livable through electric mobility.
To make this vision a reality, we need to grow our team. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a mix of ingenuity, controlled chaos, hard work, and sense of purpose. This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing team that is shaping the future of transportation.
About the Role
Operations are the heart of every JUMP system - ensuring bikes are maintained and charged - exactly when and where our customers need them, 24/7/365. As the Head of Operations, you will create the operational strategies, establish the processes, and drive the innovation that will determine the continued success of not only JUMP DC, but will lay the blueprint for future JUMP systems everywhere.
The Head of Operations role requires a jack-of-all-trades, entrepreneurial, challenge-seeking problem solver. We’re looking for someone who’s highly analytical and comfortable diving into data, but also ready to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty - both behind the keyboard but in the warehouse and out in the field.
The ideal candidate for this role should have strong strategic thinking and analytical skills, excellent time-management and organizational habits, and be ready to lead by example. Given the 24/7 nature of our operations, this isn’t your average Monday-Friday 9-5 job, but if you’re hungry for a true start-up experience and ready to shape the future of urban mobility, this is the role for you. You will report to the General Manager.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and lead a team. You will be defining hiring needs and leading the hiring process for new operations members. At the same time, you’ll be managing analysts and a larger team of bicycle mechanics and fleet operators.
- Create a fun, inclusive, and safe work culture. You will help create a hard-working, challenging, and fun workplace. Above all else, you will be responsible to ensure the safety of your team and our riders.
- Grow the business: You will be constantly seeking solutions that scale, while overseeing the growth of our business. Your processes and projects will directly contribute to the city’s growth.
- Analyze Data . You will ensure you are creating, collecting, and incorporating as much data about operations as possible to constantly monitor performance and find opportunities to improve. You, with help from colleagues, will build the analytical frameworks and operational models to enable constant improvement.
- Problem Solve. All day everyday. You will operate a technology platform and capital assets in dynamic urban environments. All kinds of obstacles, barriers, problems, and snags happen on a daily basis and you must be ready to solve them as fast as they happen. You see upcoming systemic problems from far away, and nip them in the bud.
- Create & Optimize Process. We are a new company launching a new product in new environments - we not only need to create and constantly optimize our own processes for this operation, but for the many JUMP systems that are to follow in the near future.
- Collaborate . Operations will need to collaborate with data scientists, communications and marketing, bicycle engineers, supply chain professionals, HR, and other teams.
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution - we need to do things quickly, and we need to do them well. Balancing those can be challenging, and this should be a strength.
What You’ll Need
- 3-5 years of business consulting, investment banking, marketing, or operations management experience.
- Experience with data-based decision-making, exercising good judgement in ambiguous circumstances, and effectively communicating across a diverse team.
- Strong Excel skills a must, other database experience helpful. Comfortable learning and using new software tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships, lead a team, manage employees, and create a hard-working but fun workplace.
- Proven to be self-motivated, self-directed, and eager to take ownership of tasks to ensure solution.
- Black belt in problem-solving with a “Get Shit Done” attitude.
- Excellent organization and time management systems for yourself and your employees.
- Clear Communicator. You are a clear and concise communicator with the ability to synthesize a lot of information quickly and highlight the key insights. You will also be the face of Ops and be collaborating with teams across the org.
- Knowledge or passion for any of the following a plus: the DC area, SQL, bikeshare, bike mechanics, mobility, and data/programming/IT.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass MVR check required (No more than 2 minor violations, and no major violations, in past 3 years).
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of SoBi/Jump to provide employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. SoBi strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.